Have an innovative idea on how to solve traffic congestion? The Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America), in partnership with IBM and Spencer Trask Collaborative Innovations (STCI), has launched a global challenge to identify innovative ideas for combating transportation congestion.
ITS America is challenging commuters, transportation experts, entrepreneurs and academic researchers to come up with the best ideas to reduce traffic congestion and lessen its economic and environmental impact.
At stake is a $50,000 prize presented at the 16th World Congress on Intelligent Transportation Systems in Stockholm, Sweden, this September. The winner will also receive the development support needed to put his or her idea to work.
Winning ideas are expected to focus on the following five areas:
- Speed and efficiency: Using technology to reduce delays and transport people and goods efficiently and reliably.
- Behavioral impact: Innovative ways to convince users to choose options that reduce congestion.
- Safety: Preventing accidents, improving incident response and providing more timely, accurate transportation information.
- Sustainability: Lowering energy use and emissions while actively managing traffic and reducing congestion.
- Economic competitiveness: Improve productivity through new technologies (e.g., wireless applications and mobility tools).
For additional information and to enter submissions, visit Join the ITS Congestion Challenge