Earlier this week, I attended the annual IDC Health Insights Predictions 2012: Health conference call.
This was a global predictions call that covered the entire Health Industry, including health payer, provider and life science sectors. The team identify major global trends that will impact the has scheduled other prediction calls going into more detail on topics specific to payer, provider and life sciences. There are also other calls coming up that focus on health industry related predictions in both Europe and Asia.
IDC says significant changes are transforming components of the Health Industry value chain driven by a focus on patient safety, cost containment, quality improvement, and regulatory compliance. Key topics of importance to business leaders will be EMR and EHR for providers, connected health, healthcare industry reform, and the life sciences value chain.
Overall, IDC list 5 major technology themes
- Analytics and Big Data
IDC is hot on themes 2-5 throughout all of its predictions calls.
The IDC Health Insights Ten Predictions for 2012
The 2012 predictions list below was sourced from the conference call slides.
- EHR. “The Majority of U.S. Providers Will Use an EHR by the End of 2012”.
- ACOs. “Successful Accountable Care Organizations Will Emerge from Private or Public-Private Initiatives”
- Re-Branding for Care. “Health Plans Rebrand: Care is the New Core”
- Integrated Strategies. “Integration of Payment, Clinical Performance and Outcomes”
- Analytics for Pharma. “Pharma adds "Actionable" to Analytics in 2012”
- Analytics for ACOs. “The Next Mountain for ACOs to Climb Will be the Development of an Enterprise Analytic Framework Including Clinical Analytics”
- Outsourcing. “Outsourcing Best Practices Shift From Vendor to Partner”
- Mobile. “Bring Your Own Mobile Device Gains Popularity, But Security Risks Abound”
- Communication Strategy. “Second-Generation Communication Strategies Emerge”
- Social. “The Next Generation of Consumer Engagement will Leverage Consumers’ Social Graphs”
For More Information
- The IDC Health Insights main page is http://www.idc-hi.com/
- Conference Call Replay (registration required): IDC Health Insights Predictions 2012: Health. See the IDC Insights Predictions 2012 page for other Health Insights prediction calls coming up.
- Reports: IDC Health Insights Top 10 Predictions for Health Industry (not published yet). Also Asia/Pacific Healthcare 2012 Top 10 Predictions
- Press Release: IDC Health Insights press releases
- Community: The IDC Insights Community has blogs, videos, forums, resource library, events etc.
- IDC Health Insights Newsletter: www.idc-hi.com/newsletter
- The IDC 2012 Predictions portal is at http://www.idc.com/research/Predictions12/Main/index.jsp. This page is being updated daily as new reports come out, webinars announced, etc.