I recently attended IDC Energy Insights Predictions 2012: Utilities conference call today. I look forward to the IDC Insights series of conference calls every year as it helps me understand the critical issues and trends that impact Information Technology decisions within a particular industry.
In this case, the predictions were focused on the Utilities industry with an emphasis on North American issues. There are other calls coming up that focus on Europe and Asia.
Summary and Key Themes
IDC Energy Insights says in 2012, the industry is entering a ‘post stimulus’ period. While funding has dried up, there are areas where investment spending is growing, such as Solar PV installations. Other investment areas include Smart Grid, Smart Buildings, Electric Vehicles, and Energy Storage.
The 2012 predictions list below was sourced from the conference call slides.
- Smart Meters. “Smart meters will peak in 2012, propelling demand response, but spending tempered for now”.
- Smart Grids. “Distribution automation will lead smart grid control investments with 13% CAGR”
- Smart Buildings. “Smart building technology investments will gain more traction with utilities”
- Electric Vehicles. “120,000 plug-in electric vehicles will be sold in North America in 2012”
- Lithium Batteries. “Lithium-Ion large format batteries will reach $600 per kWh by the end of the year”
- Solar PV Installations. “Despite the 1603 Treasury Grant expiring in 2011, PV installations will grow by >25% in 2012”
- Commercial PV. “>60 MW of commercial PV installations will incorporate micro-inverters or DC optimizers in 2012”
- Security & Risk. “Security and risk will continue to grab decision maker’s attention, leading to increased budgets”
- Big Data Analytics. “Utilities will invest in analytics in anticipation of big data”
- IT Spending. “IT spending by North American utilities will increase by 4.5% % over the next four years”
For More Information
- The IDC 2012 Predictions portal is at http://www.idc.com/research/Predictions12/Main/index.jsp. This page is being updated daily as new reports come out, webinars announced, etc.
- Conference Call Replay (registration required): IDC Energy Insights Predictions 2012: Utilities and IDC Energy Insights Predictions 2012: EMEA Utilities
- Reports: IDC Energy Insights Top 10 Predictions for Utilities Industry
- Press Release: IDC Energy Insights Top 10 Predictions for Utilities Industry
- Community: The IDC Energy Insights Community has blogs, videos, forums, resource library, events etc. all designed for those interested in the Energy IT industry