Unless you are on Mars, you are aware that there’s a bunch of discussion going on now about making our Healthcare systems better. Much of that discussion, I feel, is missing the critical topic of the IT infrastructure supporting our healthcare systems. There needs to be more discussion on how to modernize the technology within the Healthcare systems.
HealthCare systems should be designed to connect people to information, to experts and to each other so that collectively, we can all act proactively to better manage and deliver preventative and therapeutic care. Our healthcare system s need better connections, better data, and faster and more detailed analysis. It needs an integrated view of the underlying data/information and centering it on the patient, so each person "owns" his or her information, controls who access it, and has can provide that access to a networked team of collaborative care.
We need to move away from paper records to electronic records. This will reduce medical errors and improve efficiencies. And more importantly, it will allow us to apply advanced data analytics to the the vast amounts of data, to improve outcomes.
Some places for you to check out some good discussion going on these days about how technology can improve our healthcare system.
The video to the right (lasts 1:41) makes the case for a smarter HealthCare System
The following blogs are great resources on what is happening in Healthcare and IT
- HealthNex: Blogging about Healthcare & Technology since June 2005 http://healthnex.typepad.com/
- Smarter Healthcare: Building a Smarter Planet http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/category/smarter-healthcare
- Healthcare tag on “a smarter planet” blog http://smarterplanet.tumblr.com/tagged/healthcare
- Future of Health IT: http://www.futurehealthit.com/
Join IBM and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) on September 16th, at 12:00ET for a complimentary web seminar: "Making Smarter Healthcare a Reality: Implications for Today's CIO.". Dan Pelino, General Manager of IBM Healthcare and Life Sciences, along with a distinguished guest panel will share their points of view on the evolution of smarter healthcare and how the motivational forces of patient safety and quality are driving new levels of transformation. On the guest panel is…
- G. Daniel Martich, MD, Chief Medical Information Officer and Associate Chief Medical Officer, UPMC, will discuss how UPMC embodies smarter healthcare and their transformative journey. Dr. Martich will also discuss the Center for Connected Medicine, a showcase facility for patient-centered, collaborative care.
- Sean Hogan, Vice President, Global Healthcare Delivery Systems, IBM Healthcare and Life Sciences and Peggy Rodebush, RN, MSN, Healthcare Partner, IBM Global Business Services will share the results from the soon-to-be released IBM Global CIO Study providing provocative insights on the evolution of the Healthcare CIO’s role in the organization’s business strategy and in realizing innovative, smarter healthcare.
- IBM Healthcare and Life Sciences http://www-03.ibm.com/industries/healthcare/us/index.html
- IBM Smarter HealthCare: http://www.ibm.com/ibm/ideasfromibm/us/smartplanet/topics/healthcare/20090223/index1.shtml
- HealthCare 2015: http://www-03.ibm.com/industries/healthcare/us/detail/landing/G883986O04888I88.html